UKStampers  

Go Back   UKStampers > Stamping & Altered Art > Techniques, Hints, Help, Tips & Tutorials

Stamp Galaxy
View All Sponsors
Latest Images
by winterbaby
Mail Art Postcard Swap Pics
by rusticus
by Colette
by NuttyRachy
by harpie38

Old 15-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
Christine

Default Easier way to use Eclipse masking tape - please help!

Can anyone give me some tips, please, on an easier way to use Eclipse masking tape?

I bought a huge roll of the stuff ages ago, but it came without instructions, and with nothing to use as a temporary backing sheet, to stick it on while I cut my masks out. I have been sticking it to copy paper, stamping, cutting out the 2 layers together with scissors, peeling the mask off the copy paper, then using the mask. Unfortunately, the Eclipse tape is weaker than the copy paper, and I am forever tearing my masks. Also the tape tends to curl up, so the mask sticks to itself, then by the time I come to actually use it, it wont stick down on the image I am trying to mask! (I always make sure the stamping is dry first!)

I made this card yesterday, and I needed to mask the leaf part. Because of the landlocked areas, I made a lot of cuts in odd places, and my mask fell apart. I had to use it twice, as I dropped the large stamp the first time, and got a double image. In the end I had to use a repositionable tape pen on the ends of the leaves, because they kept curling up. Afterwards the mask was so torn that I had to throw it away.

Can anyone help, please?!!!?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg One layer card 140212 001.jpg (91.0 KB, 13 views)
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
leggies

Have you looked at the project instructions on their site?

http://www.eclipsetape.com/projects/et_project.html

http://allsortsandeverything.blogspot.com
leggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
Christine

Thanks for the link, leggies! Read and bookmarked! Didn't think to Google Eclipse - doh!

I think sticking several layers of eclipse together might make the tape easier to handle, but it still leaves the sticky "live" on the back layer, which gives me trouble with my scissors, and is why I have been sticking the tape to copy paper. I think I might try combining their idea and mine, and if the bottom mask tears, then I'll still have the top ones.

I can't use a craft knife properly, my hands wont let me, so I can't do their idea of cutting a mask out of tape stuck on a cutting mat. When I need both the positive and the negative, I have to make 2 completely separate masks with scissors, and sacrifice the other bits of each one. I really curse my awkward hands sometimes!!!

When I get home I'll have another go, as I can see me wanting a mask of that particular stamp on many occasions. Nice stamp, isn't it!
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
LucyEdmo123

How about sticking the Eclipse to the backing paper you get when you buy sheets of Kling on or Easy Mount?

Hope this helps,

Lucy x
LucyEdmo123 is offline   Reply With Quote