UKStampers  

Go Back   UKStampers > Retail Therapy > What's hot, what's not..or what I've not got and want

Stamp Galaxy
View All Sponsors
Latest Images
by rusticus
Mail Art Postcard Swap Pics
by Colette
by NuttyRachy
by harpie38
by Angelnorth

Old 04-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
craftygal

Default New Craftwell E-bosser

Has anyone else seen this fabulous new machine yet?? I saw it demo'd at the Biggin Hill show on Sunday and I was absolutely sold!!!! There are lots of vids on YouTube, it is an electric A4 machine that takes ALL dies and will cut up to seven layers of fabric in one go (if you are into quilting for example). It comes complete with all the necessary plates, mats etc even has its own shim. It cuts the most intricate Memory Box/Cheery Lynn dies with just one pass and the embossing is the crispest and deepest I have ever seen - I paid a deposit to secure one, as the first two shipments sold out on the day they arrived, but I have to wait until the end of the month to get my sticky paws on it!! It also has a "magic eye" that measure the sandwich before the motor starts to take it through, and if it is too thick, it automatically rejects it, avaoiding straining the motor.

I should tell you here that I have returned my Vagabond to Hobbycraft and got a full refund of the price I paid- the replacement machine that Sizzix supplied me after my first one died just did not cut. I obtained the gauge keys to measure my sandwich so I ensured I could not over-shim and strain the motor, but the only dies it cut successfully were the thick Sizzix ones (like Tattered Florals). Spellbinders Dies would cut at the sides only, leaving the top and bottom uncut and anything intricate only cut a fraction, even after several passes!!! Hats off to Hobbycraft tho, they did not quibble at all and agreed immediately to a refund!! I have to thank my friend for advising me that if something does not perform in the manner expected, you are entitled to either a refund, replacement or repair, otherwise I had just written it off as a "hard lesson" and had gone back to my trusty Bigshot!!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
rustycage11

I never really liked the idea of the Vagabond (I have a good old manual big shot) - too much to go wrong. The Craftwell machine sounds fab though.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
Efemera

I always thought the Vagabond was just a marketing ploy....
Efemera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
craftygal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efemera View Post
I always thought the Vagabond was just a marketing ploy....
When it first came out, I vowed I would not fall for their ply, so I totally agree, but I know someone who has one and she thinks it is the best thing shed has ever bought, she has no problems cutting anything with it, but I think they are so "hit & miss", you are either very lucky and get a good one, or unlucky, like me lol!!!! If only Craftwell had half the marketing strategy of Ranger, they really would take over!!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
cazzy

Well I have just watched the videos, and I am hooked, I had been ignoring this machine as I was sure from the name it was just an embossing machine.

I have had 3 Vagabonds, bought one March last year which ceased working one day in November last year, the store put me in touch with Sizzix who replaced it. Machine number 2 jammed mid cut with my die in it, and I got in touch with Sizzix directly who replaced it again. Now the 3rd one has also jammed with a die in it.

Sizzix say they are out of stock, and offered me the Big Shot bundle and 75 of dies. I have Big Shot so I am trying to find if I can get a refund, then I will pre-order the eBosser instead. If not I will have a Big Shot for sale, just trying to find if I can get my jammed die back too.
Sizzix offered but if the store refunds me that might not happen.

I can't remember exactly what I paid for the machine but with a die it was 161.

Fact - stash expands to fill the space available.

My blog: http://cazzytime.blogspot.com
cazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
craftygal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzy View Post

I have had 3 Vagabonds, bought one March last year which ceased working one day in November last year, the store put me in touch with Sizzix who replaced it. Machine number 2 jammed mid cut with my die in it, and I got in touch with Sizzix directly who replaced it again. Now the 3rd one has also jammed with a die in it.

That's the main problem with the Vagabond I think - because it uses the long platform, by the time the machine gets to the "sandwich" section, if it is too thick the motor will keep running trying to force it through until it jams. With the E-bosser, I saw the demonstrator actually try a sandwich that was too thick and it did not even allow the plates to be fed into the machine - there is a "secret eye" on the edge of the feed aperture that measures the thickness and rejects anything too thick.

I am sure you will not be disappointed Cazzy. I agree about the daft name for this machine, which does convey it is an "embosser" - if only Craftwell had a fraction of the marketing ability of Ranger, they could take over the craft world!! I think I have worked harder at promoting this new machine than they have !!!!!
Old 13-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
cazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftygal View Post
That's the main problem with the Vagabond I think - because it uses the long platform, by the time the machine gets to the "sandwich" section, if it is too thick the motor will keep running trying to force it through until it jams. With the E-bosser, I saw the demonstrator actually try a sandwich that was too thick and it did not even allow the plates to be fed into the machine - there is a "secret eye" on the edge of the feed aperture that measures the thickness and rejects anything too thick.

I am sure you will not be disappointed Cazzy. I agree about the daft name for this machine, which does convey it is an "embosser" - if only Craftwell had a fraction of the marketing ability of Ranger, they could take over the craft world!! I think I have worked harder at promoting this new machine than they have !!!!!
Ah well, the first machine just stopped working - I wasn't using it, dead, worked one day and not the next, I couldn't believe it at 9 months old, even changed the fuses and the lead to see if that would help, so I got in touch with the store who put me in touch with Sizzix who collected and replaced it with machine number 2. Machine number two died mid cut, I was cutting Tim Holtz tickets, a long Sizzlet die, and it got nearly all the way along and jammed right at the end, I had the correct combination, Sizzix confirmed this and said the machine was faulty, got my die out and send my die and platform back, and another machine. I had to find a BIG box to send it back with the large platform stuck most of the way out of one side!
Machine number 3 didn't seem right from the first time I used it, the switch you have to hold down to cut kept sticking so it carried on running after it had cut. This time It only lasted a few weeks, and it may have been my fault, which I did tell Sizzix. I forgot to take the thin die platform off again after switching dies, and I put it through with Embosslits, it made horrible noise so I stopped it and reversed it all out, took out the thin die platform and tried again, which is when it gave up and made strange noises but didn't move the die. Then when I tried it again to try and get the die out it died totally again.

Sizzix are very good, they originally offered me a Big Shot bundle and 75 of dies and to get my die out of the machine. I said I have a Big Shot so would have to sell it and probably some or all of the dies, depending on what they sent. I asked if there was any other alternative (thinking the electronic Big Shot but I have seen since that it was discontinued). So now I have got a full refund from the store I bought it from, and it will be collected and returned to Sizzix who will free my die. At one point I contacted the store to check if they really would refund me, and they were suggesting I would need to pay for it to go to Sizzix if I wanted the die, but after discussions with Sizzix I got the best result, the Big Shot Pro has been suggested, but I think I will pre-order the eBosser now, I can only find it at Oyster Crafts, is anyone else selling it?

Also will it only ever be white? I have a hot pink eCraft and it would look nice matching.

Fact - stash expands to fill the space available.

My blog: http://cazzytime.blogspot.com
cazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
Christine

Ooh er! I didn't know that the electric Big Shot Express had been discontinued! I hope mine keeps on working ok, as it's really great to use, and it puts up with me occasionally forgetting to remove the thin die adaptor. It just buzzes at me and stops feeding through, then I reverse it and put things right.

I wouldn't touch a Vagabond with a barge-pole! Too many horror stories!!
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote